Osteochondritis dissecans Or Avasular necrosis Knee
It is a condition where it breaks the articular cartilage and the underlying subchondral bone.
- Locking of knee joint
- Restricted movement
- Crackling noise
- The subchondral bone dies due to decreased blood supply to the subchondral bone and results in Avascular Necrosis of the bone.
- This results in fragmentation ( Bone pieces or dissection ) of both cartilage and bone and forms loose bodies in the joint which further damages the knee joint.
- MRI Scan
- Non-surgical treatment is rarely an option.
- If advised also protected or non-weight bearing walk and immobilization.
- Surgical treatment –
- Arthroscopic drilling of intact lesions
- Fixation of cartilage flap lesions with pins or screws,
- PRP or Stem Cell therapy
- If all the above treatment fails then Knee replacement.
Post surgery care
Two-stage process –
2. Rehab program