KNEE CAP PAIN – CHONDROMALACIA PATELLA
The shiny layer called cartilage under the kneecap (Patella) gets damaged due to overuse and sometimes injury. The cartilage becomes rough and gives pain while bending the knee joint.
- Difficulty in walking and bending the knee due to pain
- Painful staircase climbing up and down
- It is common in young individuals.
- Acute injury to the patella
- Chronic friction between the patella and the femoral intercondylar groove, through which it passes during knee flexion.
- Quadriceps weakness, Iliotibial band tightness, Patellar Maltracking , Fracture patella
- Physical therapy, Cartilage regenerating medications, are helpful.
- Injection Platelet rich plasma is a recent modality in the failed conservative management.