Spine is one of the most important parts of our body that is made up of 33 individual bones. There are ligaments and muscles around these bones that keep them intact and aligned. The spinal column not only provides support to our body but also allows us to stand upright, bend, and twist. So keeping the spine in good health is very important to live an active life without back pain.
Spine surgery becomes necessary because of various abnormalities in the spine giving rise to back pain. Although most of the cases of back pain may get relief from conservative treatment others need surgery.
Types of spine surgery
Different types of spine surgery include:
- Discectomy: It is the surgical removal (partial or full) of the herniated portion of a disk to relieve irritation and inflammation of a nerve.
- Laminectomy: It involves the removal of the bone overlying the spinal canal to relieve nerve pressure caused by spinal stenosis.
- Fusion: Spinal fusion is the surgical procedure that permanently connects two or more bones in the spine. It gives relief from pain and improves the motion between vertebrae that can result from a degenerated or injured disk.
- Artificial disks: It is the surgical implantation of the artificial disks to relieve painful movement between two vertebrae due to a degenerated or injured disk.
Advantages of Spine Surgery
- No or decreased pain in the back
- Increased activity or motion
- Better physical fitness
- No or decreased use of pain-killers
- Ability to go back to work
- Increased productivity at work